Wednesday, April 08, 2009

WB Mural 2009


In July 2008 I got a call from my old friend Amy Wagner at the Warner Brothers Burbank studio. I was recommended by Bruce Timm, James Tucker and Glen Murakami to redesign the WB mural, the one that's been at the Olive and Pass Avenues for the past 15 years. We had a meeting at Sam Register's office and went over the details. See the bottom half of the above image for the final layout I designed and came up with. That's the one everyone at WB Animation was happy with. Later on I heard someone from the main WB lot was going to change my layout and add some of the cartoony characters on top of it.
On April 7 Warner Bros. Animation hosted a special Animation Celebration event on the studio lot, during which it unveiled the first update to its popular animation mural in 15 years.
The event was open to the public and feature entertainment, prizes, fun events for families, refreshments and a live performance from Beat Freaks, the all-girl dance crew from the 2009 edition of America’s Best Dance Crew.
There were also a few special guests like Julie Newmar (the original Catwoman from the 60's tv show) and Diedrich Bader (voice of Batman from Batman the Brave and the Bold)
I don't really mind the changes that were made to my original design. After all Bugs Bunny and Duffy Duck put WB Animation on the map. Although I like my layout better, there are less tangents and a lot of less empty spaces. I wish they hired me to add the cartoony characters as well.
All the villains heads show up at night only thanks to special painting and lighting.
It's a true honor to be part of this historical landmark.
Click here for the Cartoon Brew article

No comments: