Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Metallica T-Shirt



On the next few posts you'll find some t-shirts I painted by hand when I was 19 years old.
I kept the ones with the most sentimental value to me, and here they are.
It was extremely difficult to scan them for this blog, since they were very wrinkle, old and didn't fit on my scanner.
I had to place a sheet of cardboard inside each t-shirt and scan them in two halves (bottom and top).
To make them I used a special paint for fabrics called Ladytex made only in Argentina back in the 80's.
It was a very good paint brand, since I wore them and washed them many times. The fact that they still look good proves it.
About this particular piece I remember seeing a japanese Kerrang magazine with a Metallica note in it. And in one page I saw
a photograph of a fan giving James Hetfield a caricature drawing of him Manga style.
For some reason when I was 19 I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, specially because I was a huge Metallica fan myself. And then it hit me, I though it would be really cool to make a t-shirt out of that tiny photo.
It was very challenging to come up with the design since that pic was ridiculously small, but I did it. I can't believe I painted the logo straight up with no art line, I even knew how to do that logo by heart without any reference.
I never got so many compliments on a t-shirt, specially around Metallica's golden age.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah,I think so.I also like the Metallica t shirt.